Woven Communities: Exhibition and Demonstrations
When & Where
Woven Communities, based at the University of St Andrews, is a project with Scottish basket makers to learn more about the making and use of basketry in Scottish life over the past 150 years.
Between 8th-12th July they will be holding a week at the Museum of Rural Life in East Kilbride, with daily demonstrations for the public, practical sessions, and reminiscence days aimed at inviting people with family histories linked to local basketry and agriculture to share their memories of rural basketwork and its use.
They would very much like to meet any members who have memories, experience or knowledge of such times and would be willing to share them with us at a Reminiscence Afternoon at the Museum of Rural Life on Tuesday 12th July at 2.0pm.
The afternoon will include:
- a talk on the use of baskets in rural life,
- a display of baskets and old photos of baskets in use,
- a basketmaking demonstration,
- a short, hands on weaving activity,
- a chance for people to bring an interesting basket they have and share a
story about it
- a chance for people to contribute to our project by sharing their
memories/knowledge of baskets, basketmakers, baskets in use, etc
- tea and cakes!
Please feel welcome to call Dr Stephanie Bunn on 07761 471693 if you would like to know more about the project.
Or, do look at their website on www.wovencommunities.org