Falkirk Library Service
About this Organisation
Most records are kept at Falkirk Library and Grangemouth Library, but if you are looking for something specific it is best to contact the library first.
The items below are reference only and cannot be removed from the library:
- The Census for Falkirk area for 1841 – 1901. The 1881 Census is available at some other libraries on CD ROM. Local indexes are also available.
- The Old Parish Records (OPRs) for Falkirk area.
- The International Genealogical Index (I.G.I.). An index to the OPRs arranged by county, surname and forename.
- Family Search covers the whole world, based on same sources as the I.G.I. with US Addenda including living relatives.
- British Vital Records.
- Index to the Old Parish Records for Falkirk area.
- CD-Rom lists of Soldiers who died in World War One and World War Two.
- Pre 1855 Monumental Inscriptions. We have the East and West Stirlingshire volumes of this incomplete set of plans and transcriptions of graveyards. We also hold Bo'ness graveyard inscriptions.
- Falkirk Local History Society's journal 'Calatria' has also surveyed local burial grounds.
- Trade directories Falkirk and Grangemouth have a microfilm copy of local extracts from Slater's Directory from 1867 to 1915. Individual libraries may also have a few street directories for their own towns.
- Local Newspapers: The Bo'ness Journal, Falkirk Herald and Grangemouth Advertiser are held. We also have some indexes.
- Other items of interest held in the local history collection include local publications, material on local people, maps, plans and some photographs and postcards.
We can answer any enquiries by e-mail, phone or post.
Tel: 01324 503605
Please note that links to websites and catalogues are provided by the Organisations listed and not maintained by Scottish Local History Forum.